These veggie burgers are vegan, gluten free and delicious. Made with sweet potato, black beans, quinoa, oats and a bunch of flavorful spices.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (or 1/2 cup uncooked + 1 cup water)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup oats (coarse)*
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- olive oil
- 8 burger buns* and burger fixings: tomato, lettuce, avocado, onion, etc..
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and put the cut the sweet potatoes length wise with the cut part facing the parchment paper. Bake for 30-40 min or until soft when poked with a fork. Set aside and let cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the quinoa: in a sauce pan put 1/2 cup quinoa with 1 cup water and let boil covered at low heat for 12 min or until the water is absorbed.
- Pulse the oats if they are not already a bit coarse. Don’t over do it, you don’t want a fine flour.
- Remove the skin of the sweet potatoes.
- Chop the cilantro.
- In a large mixing bowl or in the bowl of the electric mixer (with the paddle) add the sweet potatoes, black beans, quinoa, oats, cilantro, cumin, paprika and salt.
- Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Cover the mixture and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. If you don’t have time, you can skip this step.
- Shape the burgers with your hands.
- In a pan add a bit of olive oil and cook the burgers until they are golden on the outside. You can also bake them: add some olive oil to their surface, and put them in a baking sheet over parchment paper. Bake at 400 F for 30 min or until they are golden on the outside.
- Set aside and assemble the burger with you favorite fixings.
Choose certified gluten free oats if you want a gluten free meal.
Choose gluten free buns if you want a gluten free meal.
Keywords: veggie burger, vegan, gluten free