A great vegetarian dinner that will make you feel full and happy.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Olive oil
- Cut all the vegetables (onions, carrots, zucchini and eggplant) in small cubes.
- In a big pan sauté the onion in olive oil for 5 min or until gold.
- Add the rest of the vegetables to the onions and cook until tender, about 10 min. Add more oil if necessary.
- Add the tomato sauce, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for another 10 min.
- Meanwhile boil the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions (if your noodles are oven-ready you can skip this step).
- Prepare the bechamel:
- Heat the milk in a sauce pan and keep it warm at low heat.
- In another sauce pan melt the butter. Add flour and whisk until it forms a golden paste. Cook a couple of minutes
- Add the milk little by little and whisk constantly to avoid forming clumps. A white sauce will start to form as you keep adding the milk.
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Leave the sauce on the runny side, it will thicken a bit when it cooks again in the oven.
- In an oven proof lasagna pan, layer the lasagna in this order: tomato sauce on the bottom, noodles, veggies, bechamel, cheese, and repeat: noodles, veggies, bechamel, cheese, noodles, tomato sauce, bechamel, cheese.
- Bake at 375 F for 25 min, covered with aluminum foil. Do not let the foil touch the cheese or it will stick.
- Uncover and bake 5 min more or until the cheese is golden.
- Let rest 10 min before serving.
If you use oven-ready lasagna noodles the cooking time might be a bit longer. Just follow the package instructions.
The number of lasagna noodles you will need will depend on the size of you baking pan.
If you prefer a lighter version of this lasagna you can totally omit the bechamel sauce and you will still have a wonderful lasagna.
If you want a vegan lasagna omit the bechamel and cheese and voila!