Quick flavorful lentils. Packed with protein and fiber, a great family dinner.
- 1 lb green lentils
- 1 onion
- ½ can tomato paste
- 4 oz Spanish-style chorizo
- 9–10 cups water
- 1 bay leave
- Olive oil
- Finely cut the onion and sauté until it’s well cooked and turns golden.
- Add the tomato paste with a cup of water to dissolve and let cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the chorizo in thin slices and add to the tomato sauce. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the chorizo has released some of its flavor.
- Add the lentils, water, bay leave, salt and pepper. Cook at medium low for 15 minutes or until the lentils are done but not too soft. They will continue to cook while cooling down. If you see that they need more water while cooking, add it.
- You can use tomato sauce instead of tomato paste. In this case just cook it a bit longer to increase the flavor.
- For the chorizo make sure it is a good quality one as it is the key ingredient that will give the flavor to your lentils. I use the Spanish brand Palacios that I find in my local supermarket and at Costco. For this quantity of lentils, I use half of the chorizo.
- Different types of lentils cook at different speeds, make sure to check them as they cook. You don’t want to overcook your lentils otherwise you’ll end up with a mashed lentil soup.
- You can add diced potato and/or carrots to the stew if you like.
- These lentils freeze very well, so consider making a big batch and having ready in the freezer for those lunch boxes or a quick dinner.