Vegan meatballs with curry sauce. Very tasty, very healthy! A great dinner option.
Vegan Lentil Meatballs:
- 1 cup black lentils (uncooked)
- 1 cup (uncooked)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 6 oz firm tofu (do not use )
- 1 Tbs olive oil
Coconut Curry Sauce:
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp
- 1– 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 extra-large tomato, finely diced, with juices
- 1 Tbs dried
- 1 can (13.5 oz)
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- fresh cracked pepper
- On high heat, bring lentils and fennel seeds to a boil in a with 3 cups water. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer 25 minutes, or until they are cooked. Drain well.
- On high heat, bring to boil in a with 1 cup water. Cover, turn heat to low, simmer 15 minutes, turn heat off, leave covered.
- Make the vegan lentil meatballs:
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- In a , place the cooked and half of the lentils, and pulse until texture of coarse sand. Place in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining lentils, chopped cilantro and salt to the bowl and mix well.
- In the same , add the tofu (pressed down to release water and patted dry) and 1 Tbs olive oil. (The tofu will bind the mixture and oil will keep it from drying out). Pulse tofu and oil until a smooth paste, scraping down the sides as necessary. Scoop it into the lentil mixture and mix it in well.
- Prepare a lined baking sheet. With your hands, kneed lentil mixture briefly until it’s thoroughly mixed and salt and spices are evenly distributed.
- With wet hands form small ping pong sized balls.
- Place on baking sheet and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce:
- In a , sauté ginger in olive oil on medium heat until just golden, stirring often to prevent scorching. Add turmeric and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add diced tomato and sauté until most of the juices evaporate, about 5-8 minutes. Stir in , fenugreek, lime, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Taste for salt.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn off heat until ready to serve.
- Place lentil meatballs over the sauce, and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately.
This recipe is the original post from Feasting at Home with minor modifications I made.
I could not find the fenugreek leaves but I left it in the recipe just in case anyone wants to try it.
Keywords: vegan meatballs, curry, lentils