The best chocolate zucchini cake ever! It’s easy to make, packed with flavor (and nutrients) and you will not be able to stop eating it. Adapted from Yossi Arefi’s Snacking Cakes.
- 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 150 ml sunflower oil (or any neutral oil)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (45 g) unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 5/8 (0.55) cups (80 gr) all purpose flour *
- 5/8 (0.55) cups (80 gr) whole wheat flour *
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/4 cup (225 gr) zucchini, grated and squeezed *
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips, plus more for topping *
- 1/2 cup roasted pecans *
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl – I used my Kitchen Aid bowl – whisk the sugar and the eggs until pale and creamy. Add the oil, poppy seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk until the oil emulsifies and the spices are well mixed in.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the flours, baking powder and baking soda and mix until smooth. With a spatula fold in the grated zucchini, pecans and chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
- Bake the cake for 35-45 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let cool down for 15 min. Then remove from the pan and let cool completely on a rack.
- The strange number of 5/8 or 0.55 cups of flours comes from dividing the total amount of flour 1 1/4 cup of flour between two. As I usually weigh the ingredients the division in half was easy (80 gr), but I see that if you use cups these numbers might be a bit strange…
- To get 2 1/4 cups of grated and squeezed zucchini I needed 1 1/2 medium sized zucchinis. To squeeze the liquid out, first I grated the zucchini and then put it in a clean cotton cloth and squeezed the water out of it.
- If you don’t feel like adding pecans, just swap it for chocolate chips as Yossi Arefi does in her original recipe. The cake will be even more chocolatey – delish too!
Keywords: chocolate zucchini cake